Sunday, May 4, 2014

An Author's Guilt

Is such harsh punishment really necessary?
There’s a touch of guilt tugging at my shadow today. Just a small nag-nag-nag which will be easily ignored once it has been acknowledged.

It is a silly little thing. So don’t expect a grandiose confession.

There will no mention of Jimmy Hoffa, a certain grassy knoll in Dallas or Amelia Earhart. It is only a tiny transgression a writer makes from time to time. (Anyone who just thought the word “plagiarism,” shame on you! *clucks disapprovingly*)

I am simply talking about a misappropriation of writing time.

Despite how that sounds, I doubt the U.S. Congress needs to hold a hearing on it. No subpoenas will be issued. No pundits need clear their calendars.

As with most acknowledgements of guilt, an explanation is in order.

Yesterday evening, I tacked on the remaining 250 words on my 750 word goal amazingly quickly. The sentences just flowed and Whoosh! I was done. So, I had a number of hours left empty before bedtime to fill.

A responsible writer working on a deadline (yes, July 1 is still a bit far away but time has a habit of flying when an author least expects it) should have spent those few precious hours working ahead on Book Two of “The Lion and the Steed” series.  Admittedly I had just given 750 words to that very cause, but a novel is a needy bloke and is always willing to take a handout.

Unfortunately, I had no sense of charity left for Book Two last night. So being the wanton woman I am, I gave all my time and attention to… you guessed it, “The Six Brothers.”

*hangs head in desperate shame*

My Revolutionary War-era project that I’m hoping beyond all hope to lead me into a more mainstream (and higher paying) market once again lured me into its historic fiction folds.

*slaps herself hard on the hand*

Bad, bad writer.

Truly awful.

I will try my best to be more loyal today.

I will strive to think “Deadline!” alone.

*sighs heartily*

Sometimes being a good, responsible writer sucks.

But…

*smiles mischievously*

Some other times, the good, responsible writer needs to go on an unplanned holiday with nary a look in the rearview mirror.

So, I’m claiming vacation time for last night and that little nagging guilt can go dunk its head in a vat of something really foul.

*snickers guiltlessly*

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment