Wednesday, March 19, 2014

When Failure Calls, Serve Crumpets

Guess who I found on my couch today?
Scrambling out of the bed this morning, ready to get a brilliant start to the day, I clambered downstairs and came to a dead stop…

Failure was sitting on my couch.

He waved to me, asked for a spot of tea (because apparently Writhe failure is British) and went back to watching “Good Morning, America.”

Instead of shrieking, calling 911 or letting 15 pounds of curls and teeth (that would be my dog) at him, I simply dropped my head and sighed. The bastard was early.

With the release of each of my novels, a specter of Failure arrives. Usually they at least have the good manners to knock on the front door before barging in. I’ve come to expect the knock, often I have punch and canapés waiting for them.

But sometimes, like today, Failure just pops up on my couch, days early, and hungry for something he knows darn well I don’t have in my kitchen.

“I’ll take two sugars with that, dear,” Failure calls out from the sofa with an ice cold smile meant to intimidate.

It works.

Even my bone marrow’s sporting chill blades now.

I’m a freaking coward when it comes to Failure. Always have been, probably always will be. Unfortunately this self-awareness does diddly-squat in addressing the creep currently sitting on my couch wearing a Writhe t-shirt.

Stomping into my kitchen, I mutter a curse with my every step. I am not happy.

Usually, each novel’s Failure doesn’t show up until the edits arrive. Normally, it’s the week or so between returning the edits to the publisher and the book actually being released that the expected knock rattles my front door.

Apparently, Writhe’s Failure is a pro-active son of a bitch.

Goody.

“Will you be making crumpets?” You-know-who crows from in front of the television, little sparks of doom and gloom spitting everywhere. “I do love crumpets.”

It’s going to be a long day.

Until tonight…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment