Monday, March 3, 2014

Sex Drive: The Danica Patrick Issue

Time to get off the Danica Patrick media train.
With the original 1974 “The Taking of Pelham One Two Three” playing in the background, I welcome you to my Monday. While Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau are busy fighting each other over a subway train, I will do my best to give you a terror-free, 70’s fashion-free blog that will entertain as well as educate...

Or I could just do it like I always do it and wing the whole darn thing?

Yeah, I agree with you. Let’s go with the latter and see what kind of trouble we can scrounge up.

*winks*

First up, my work. The rather boring, taxing job of editing and writing connector scenes continues today with another 3K words on the schedule to go down. Once again, I will set my sights on Chapter One. Knowing me, however, I will hop, skip and jump wherever my little author’s heart desires.

Soon, I’ll have the last chapter perfectly dazzling while Chapter One still taunts me with its utter undone-ness. I’d “grrr” in frustration at this point but I don’t want to miss any of the cool 70’s lingo peppered ever so sparingly through the movie (a good flick, by the way).

Second, I’d like to discuss Danica Patrick, the driver of the Go Daddy car for Stewart-Haas Racing.

Even if you don’t follow NASCAR, I’m sure you’ve heard of her. Considered by many to be one of the two faces of the sport (the other being Dale Earnhardt, Jr.), over the last years she’s been known mostly for her oftentimes raunchy television ads for Go Daddy (light on the clothes, heavy on the skin). While the heat of the ads has cooled down the last two years thanks to new management of Go Daddy, she is still shoveling in the loot from this risqué image.

My thoughts on this can be summed up in two words…

Go girl!

So, she used her sexual appeal to get ahead in the business? Big deal. It may not be the way many women would do it, but I understand it. Whoever’s in charge of her publicity, good job.

But…

Danica’s enterprising spirit, her willingness to flaunt and use her sexuality to get herself a foothold in a sport dominated by men, does not mean that she is a good NASCAR driver.

She is not.

Personally, I believe she’s average, maybe a touch below. She doesn’t embarrass herself out on the track. In fact, she can hold her own in many tight situations (her propensity to crash aside; lots of the mediocre drivers have that same, exact problem).

However…

Just because she doesn’t suck, shouldn’t translate into her being categorized as one of the best drivers out there.

She is not.

The media feels the need to pander to her. I don’t know if it’s because they’re so afraid of saying something which could be condemned as sexist, or if they are truly snowed by the hype her publicists and Go Daddy have created for her. Whichever the case may be, it really needs to stop.

Until she’s proven herself out on the track like the rest of the drivers who just so happen to have their sex hanging between their legs instead of tucked up inside, Danica Patrick shouldn’t be mentioned in every other sentence by the NASCAR commentators.

She is a woman, but so is half the world’s population.

Get over it, please.

And when or if she starts making solid runs every week, I’d be more than happy to listen to discussions about her.

But, until then, just shut up about her, ok? It’s getting really old.

And there ends the morning’s tirade.

Until tonight…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment