Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Drop-Kicking of Donald Sterling

A mighty fine drop in the bucket.
Bravo Adam Silver, Commissioner of the NBA!! Banning Los Angeles Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling for life was freaking brilliant! Well done!!

*stands up and applauds wholeheartedly*

The mentality some hold (hello, Mr. Sterling) that white people “give” minorities their livelihoods by “allowing” those “lower and more bedraggled” races to work for them is mournful, sickening and needs to be scrubbed from America’s mindset forever. (Anybody got a really big steel-wire brush?)

Of course, that scrubbing is not going to happen anytime soon. I know that. You know that. The Sterlings in the world know that and thrive upon it with smug vigor.

But…

Every time society as a part or as a whole takes such a step as the NBA has done today, the world gets a little bit closer to that once impossible dream.

The one thing I truly hate is bigotry.

From my childhood growing up as the lone white girl in a neighborhood vibrant in African-American culture, I’ve despised racism. It’s stupid and indefensible, and I’ll hate it with my dying breath.

The LGBT community faces the same idiotic bigotry. It’s disgusting. I proudly write of the beauty, the fire, the dignity of same sex relationships in part to do my bit in fighting the stigma the LGBT community has been forced to bear.

I realize my writing is only a drop in the bucket of what needs to be done in this cause, but it is a drop.

Put enough drops in the bucket and change will come.

Maybe this blog will one day be such a drop.

Wouldn’t that be grand?

*smiles*

Until tomorrow…

Chloe, now firmly dismounted from her high horse  *lol*

No comments:

Post a Comment