Friday, April 4, 2014

Choose Wisely

Congratulations!

It’s sextuplets!

*applauds heartily*

*Frank tosses confetti and does something approximating a whistle (apparently my specter of imminent failure never learned the whole “put your lips together and blow” thing.)*

You’ve just been blessed with six baby boys!

Now, what are you going to do?

No. Yelping and running for the hills sans six wailing infants is not an option. Sorry.

So, half a dozen little male lives you’ve got in your hands. They’re going to need names really soon or mistaking Boy One for Boy Four will become a regular embarrassment.

Not only do you have to name your little gentlemen, you’ve got a limited pool from which to pull the monikers they’ll be dragging around the rest of their lives.

Feeling a little wobbly in the knees yet?

No?

Ok. Let’s add this. Each of the six names need to be memorable, strong, able to stand alone but still form a cohesive whole with the rest of the brothers’ names. The surname is simple, straightforward, let’s say Smith; so going for the standard John and James just won’t do.

These boys’ tags need to be able to shoulder a complete story… a short story… approximately 10K worth of Chloe Stowe words.

*blushes a little*

Yeah, we’re talking my six brothers / American Revolution story again.

*sighs*

I’m sorry but when I decide to take on a story, I tend to mother it. A lot. Blame it on my OCD tendencies. Blame it on the permanent state of my un-motherhood. Who knows why I am what I am?

After five years of consistent writing, proposing, submitting and publishing, one would think I’d have developed some kind of distance from the turn-style of characters I go through.

I haven’t.

Thought I’d share this weirdness for novelty’s sake alone. Do with it as you wish.

I’ve got to go. Boy Three and Boy Five are needing diaper changes, while Boy Six is laughing his little ass off at me… I think I’ll call that tiny guy Frank.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment