Thursday, April 17, 2014

Beneath the Rotting Eggs... Gold!

Where the heck did this come from?
Sometimes the computer age sucks.

Sucks big.

Sucks stinking, rotten ostrich eggs by the bushel-full. .. No, I don’t even know if that allusion/metaphor/whatever makes a hill of beans worth of sense, but I couldn’t come up with anything better since my imagination has been sucked dry and bloody raw by the aforementioned computer freaking age!

I’m sparing you the bold, all caps that the above rant highly deserves. I’m sure each of you have had such days, so I’ll allow you to accessorize my frustration accordingly.

My work email was hacked this morning.

Yep.

Sucks dinosaur eggs through a bendy straw.

Thankfully, I caught it almost as soon as it happened. Only one email was sent out in the hack-job before I cut off all access to the account and changed passwords, security questions, etc.

Of course that one “FW: link” email went to everybody in my work address book. So I shot out an emergency “This email has been hacked” email (ironic, much?) warning everybody not to open anything from me.

Lovely.

Malware, spyware scans followed.

Then I went and changed all of my passwords for all of my email accounts just as a precaution.

Finally, I was able to send out the “Everything’s A-OK with this email account now. Thanks for playing” email. By this point in the game I was sucking air. I was exhausted. (Psychiatric meds can wipe you out for the stupidest of reasons.)

As far as I can tell, no lasting damage was done.

I handled the crisis effectively, soundly and professionally.

Goody.

It still sucked Godzilla eggs.

But…

(And this is a very, very important “but”)…

In the midst of all of this sucking of infernal, rotting eggs, a golden egg not only came into light but it was delivered to me upon a silver platter.

Drumroll please…

I have a lead on an agent.

A really, really good agent.

A really, really good lead… as in an invitation from this really, really good agent’s boss to submit my work to her.

EEEEK!!!

(That was a good EEEEK!!!, by the way)

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this opportunity that has just landed on my lap out of nowhere. I’ll share the details with you all tomorrow when my brain is past the point of…

EEEEK!!!

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

P.S. The computer age rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment