Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Eureka Moment

Snap! Crack! POW!!
So, are you ready to hear about my eureka moment?

(SIDE NOTE: if you’d like to ratchet up the anticipation and drama of this coming revelation, please see this morning’s blog where I compared myself to a dirty and rather gummy old man. It really was a hoot.)

Ok, here we go!

Last night, laying in bed reading John Grisham, my mind as far away from colonial Pennsylvania as it’s possible to get, I was struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration.

Snap! Crackle! POW!!

(At this point I might have yelped a little but that is neither here nor there.)

My story about the six Scots-Irish brothers fighting for America in the War of Independence (yeah, you know, that story) finally has its shape!

By shape, I mean how I’m going to tell their story. Am I going to write a song about the boys? Will I whip out the old iambic pentameter and put the tale to verse? Or will I go the YA route and add a stalking vampire or a shirtless werewolf to the colonial mix?

The answer to all of the above suggestions is a fervent “No.”

Instead, each of the six brothers will get their own short story (I’m aiming at 10K words for each). These stories will be able to be read/published separately as complete entities all to themselves, but they can also be read/published as an anthology whose stories all interconnect with one another in the same “universe.”

For example…

Story 1: Jack Brown’s Revolutionary war experience as a blacksmith in the town of NoPlace, Pennsylvania during the year 1776.

Story 2: Larry Brown’s Revolutionary war experience as a school teacher in the town of NoPlace, PA during 1776.

Story 3: David Brown’s Revolutionary war experience as a farmer in the town of…

Story 4: Zeke Brown’s….

Got it?

Ok, think along the lines of Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales.” Each of the tales could be read separately and fully enjoyed, but when put together “Wham!” a novel experience occurs.

Instead of travelers, we’ll have brothers.

Instead of the stories being written in Middle English, they’ll be written in a Chloe Stowe approximation of colonial (Yeah, still don’t know how that’s going to work yet. Should be interesting not to mention a teensy bit masochistic on my part. *lol*)

I’m sure this kind of stuff has been done to death. It’s probably old hat and a real yawner to some of you more accomplished writers out there, but it’s new to me. Better yet, it’ll be a challenge to me, and therefore one to all of you who dare to follow me.

Is there a market for this stuff? I don’t know.

Hey, I might have to throw in a romantic angle into each story to get it to market, but I hope not. That’s not how I plan to write it, at least. Of course the best laid plans of mice and men… yeah, well, you know.

And that, ladies and gents, was my eureka moment.

I will now take my gummy old man by the hand and go home.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment