Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Polaroid Dreams

Jamaica Pass, Brooklyn, New York.

August 26, 1776.

That’s where the Six Brothers begins.

That’s where I’m trying to go.

Anybody got a time machine I can borrow?

I wouldn’t need to stop and visit.  Just a little flyby so I can snap a few pictures of the lay of the land, and I’d be good.

With all the research I’ve done these last six months on the late colonial period, I’m pretty ok with the customs, dress, talk and overall flavor of the era. (Note the awe-inspiring confidence held in that “pretty ok” word choice.)

However, a bygone landscape when Polaroid snapshots were few and far between is a little trickier to reimagine.

So, I’ve been scouring over old maps and drawings of the area, reading eye witness accounts to events, trying to capture something I can sink my imagination’s teeth into.

Little by little, bit by tee-tiny bit, it is working.

But I’m still thumbing for a ride on a kitted out Delorean.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment