Thursday, October 23, 2014

Needless Daisies

Fully recovered from the other night’s psychiatric escapades (see yesterday’s truly pathetic blog for the truly pathetic details), I am ready to actually put word to paper today on the Six Brothers.

*a spattering of half-hearted applause echoes through the blogging auditorium*

Alright, I’m going to be needing a little more than that, folks. A big, messy belly-flop into the mainstream deserves at least one spirited “Yahoo!”

*a single, fur-faced sneeze from a foot off the carpet is the lone reply*

Fine. At least my four-legged muse is making an effort. I’ll take whatever I can get.

*sighs dramatically around a poorly hidden smile*

What I am concerned about is what kind of voice I’m going to use with a late Colonial/Revolutionary War-era romance?

With 100K words as my goal, I’m terribly tempted to get verbose, flowery even. Describe every detail down to the utterly ridiculous.

I could do it, too.  

I could do it good. Real good.

But I won’t.

I’m aiming more for short, dramatic sentences that pack a clean and dramatic punch.

I’ve got a lot of ground to cover in the Six Brothers, so drowning in needless daisies and extraneous rose-hips really isn’t the way to go.

At least that’s what I keep telling myself.

Of course, the other half of myself quite reasonably muses, “Is there really such a thing as a needless daisy?”

Until tomorrow…

Chloe
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment