Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Her

“Bits and pieces came back to him every now and again, like a stray autumn leaf upon a freshly swept porch.”  (page 57, Pound by Chloe Stowe)

---

In my continuing efforts to note all things truly odd (i.e. weird, frighteningly eccentric) about my writing process, I have come across a new one.

*hears lots of shuffling in the blog audience*

*raises hands and calms…*

No, don’t worry, everyone. Neither hard hats nor plastic ponchos will be required for this strangeness. You can tuck all that paraphernalia back under your seat for next time.

This oddity is particularly formal.  In fact, cummerbunds and bow-ties might be appropriate for the reading of this post. But I’ll leave that up to your individual discretion.

As I’ve been happily plodding and plotting through the writing of Book Three, I noticed yesterday that a certain new character has failed to arrive to the party yet.

Oh, this woman’s presence is there. She is talked about considerably. Whole scenes revolve around her actions and inactions. A true supporting character she is. Think of Melanie in “Gone with the Wind” or Leia in “Star Wars.” Neither story could have gone on without their third or fourth billed star.

Well, my Melanie in Book Three is just as important and with ¼ of the novel written, she really should have stepped out of her dressing room by now.

She hasn’t.

A place card simply stands in her stead.

With an elegant font, her name has been embossed in silver on a 3x2” piece of thick card stock. The card lies propped up against her empty wine glass, while her chair remains tucked firmly under the long dining table.

The other guests have been mulling about for quite a while now, a great number of their conversations revolving around her.

Her absence is becoming rather palpable.

And worrisome.

And weird.

Why I can’t seem to put a body, a voice, a personality beyond a backstory to this woman is a mystery. It’s like I just can’t find the right actress to play the frankly juicy part.

So, I’m left with a place card.

*sighs*

At this point, I’m just hoping the dame arrives before the dessert course.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment