Friday, September 5, 2014

Sex.

Sex.

It’s a three letter word that takes about 3.2 million words to talk about properly.

Try to describe it properly and you’re adding another 1.7 million to the word fray.

Describing sex in all glowing, romantic terms piles another 7.3 million to the “Are you freaking kidding me?” total.

Sex.

It’s a boon to the romance author.

But it’s a godsend to the erotica writer.

If you need to fill out a chapter with another 2-5k, pop in a sex scene.

If you’re writing erotica, an extra sex scene is always welcome, and probably bumps your readership up a tick or two to boot.

If you’re writing more mainstream romance, you’ll have to work a bit harder to get that sex scene to fit in properly, but we all know it can be done.  Closeness between the two main characters is always eaten up by the audience, and to an experienced romance partisan it is a breeze to write.

Sex.

For every novel, I write my sex scenes in blocks.

Generally, I set aside 15k of a 50K novel for pure x-rated action.  So, I usually end up writing the scenes out of context and dumping them in the Sex Scene Depository for that particular book.

Then, when I’ve gotten all of the non-sex action of the story down, I’ll scoop up a sex scene from the depository and plop it down in place. Of course, then I’ve got to personalize it with context, and shade it to the mood of the storyline moment. But at that point of the novel, those kinds of details are pretty enjoyable and easy to do.

Sex.

I suppose every writer deals with it differently. My handling of it is probably a bit absurd, but I share it with you just the same. Hope it helps those newbie writers out there.

Sex.

It’s a darn marvelous thing.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment