Monday, September 15, 2014

Be It Daisy or Cackle?

Ambivalence is a bitch.

*steps away from the blog microphone, completely satisfied with this day’s posting effort*

Or…

*looks down in surprise at finding herself back at the mike*

Maybe…

*sighs and embraces the waffling*

Ambivalence is simply empathy.

Of course, ambivalence could also be telltale sign of complicated trust issues my psychiatrist would probably be happy to speak to you about.  

At this point in the blog, ambivalence is just a really long word I’m not awake enough to be spelling ad infinitum this early on a Monday morning.  

However the heck you want to define it, ambivalence for a certain crucial supporting character in my much ballyhooed Book Three has been whopping me upside the head for a while now. (Somebody want to check me for concussion symptoms, please?)

Anyhow, I can’t decide whether I should deck “Character X” all out in “I’m an evil antagonist!”-wear (i.e. the proverbial black hat, black coat, mad scientist cackle) or whether I should stick a nice, pretty daisy somewhere on the guy just for contrast and WTF-ness.

I always try to write my “bad guys” with as much ambivalence as possible. I like giving them a reason for the crap they’re doing, a reason we can all somehow identify with.

But…

Sometimes a bad guy is just simply bad. End of story.

I can’t quite grasp which way I should go with Character X in this story.

Should I go daisy?

Or go cackle?

*shakes head and gives up*

Ambivalence is a pain.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment