Thursday, July 10, 2014

Who Let the Sleaze in?

Beyond that single pane of glass.
Despite the stern admonition I made to myself and the world-at-large in yesterday’s post, a supporting character is now flagrantly running amuck in chapter one of Pound.

Curtis McEnnis, a high-priced but incredibly sleazy divorce attorney, arrived on scene yesterday morning and is mercilessly trying to wrestle the first chapter limelight away from my leading man.

*straightens spine*

*hardens gaze into something, well, menacing*

*dumps a ton of grit into the voice and commands…*

This must not be allowed to continue!

All minor role mayhem will cease immediately or all character actors for this production will be fired immediately!

*dog walks by and rolls her eyes on the way to the window and the sanity she sees beyond that simple pane of glass*

In all seriousness, what is wrong with me?

Give me a character whose story spans exactly one stinking scene and my creative juices turn all frenetic, viral and, well, giddy.

Giddy juices are a bad, bad thing when the novel’s deadline is a scrawny six days away.

And dear Mr. McEnnis, the spawn of just such hyper-happy juices, must be excised immediately!

*deflates and sighs*

Of course, I really can’t do that at this point. The jerk does play an important, though supposedly very brief, role in the leading man’s re-introduction to the audience.

Bottom line: it’s too late to replace the sleaze-ball now.

But let me assure you, Mr. McEnnis…  

*re-straightens spine*

*re-hardens gaze*

*re-gravels the voice*

As my dog is my witness, you will not see Chapter Two!

Until tomorrow…
 
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment