Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Looking Back? Not Advised

And so there I was, happy as the proverbial clam… a surer sign of impending doom you will never see. *smirks*

I had 500 words to do on Book Three and a long afternoon of pure relaxation and quiet celebration ahead of me (see yesterday’s blog for the reason for said-celebration).  I just wanted to meet my word quota for the day, put the computer down and spend a few hours doing nothing in the least bit consequential.

Well…

Two hours into my 500 word trek, I looked down at my screen to find I had written precisely one sentence, and a lousy sentence at that.

Usually the first 10k of a novel comes pretty easily for me. If I’ve got the plot nicely outlined, I can pick and choose what I want to work on for that day with remarkable ease. For example…

In the mood to write some lovin’?

Not a problem!  I’ve got a dozen or sex scenes all ripe for literary scandalization.

Got a hankering for some banter?

Sure thing! There’s something like 30k of repartee waiting to be had.

Fisticuffs? Heart-pounding action? Drama dripping with the dramatic?

Let me flip to the end of the outline and there’s bound to be some juicy violence there.

However…

*sighs*

Yeah, however.

One stinking sentence after two hours of toiling.

To put an exclamation point to my futility, I ended up deleting that one stupid sentence altogether. (It truly was crap.)

So, at that point, I quit. I walked away from the whole thing and didn’t look back. I then proceeded to selfishly lose myself in my Xbox, like any responsible, professional, author would do.

Yep, that’ll show stupid, old Book Three.

*rolls eyes, while giggling just a little*

Here’s hoping your Tuesday is a bit more productive than my Monday was.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment