Sunday, February 23, 2014

"The Princess and the Pea" -or- "The Writer and the Blurb"

As rain dampens spirits in Daytona, and I alligator-wrestle the ugly day blues, I turn once again to my blog to find meaning in a soggy, soggy world.

In other words, Hello! Glad you came.

“The Princess and the Pea” is a fairly straightforward fairy tale written by Hans Christian Andersen in May of 1835. It relates the story of a girl whose royal heritage is proved when a simple pea under her pile of wondrous mattresses causes her to have a sleepless night. “Only a young woman with such sensitivity could be a real princess,” the hero proclaims as he sweeps her off to a happily-ever-after.

Simple and quite charming. (Yes, I’m aware there are probably socio-economic undertones whole treatises have been written about, but for here and now, let’s just say simple and charming, ok?)

The point of my sharing a recap of this tale is this…

Me = Princess.

Blurb = Pea.

While I’m hardly royalty (I played a pig in the school’s Christmas play, for pity’s sake), I do find myself suffering many sleepless nights when the blurb-to-be is underfoot.

It’s that time again (as I’m sure you could have guessed). The teaser for Book One of the Lion & Steed Series with Ravenous Romance is due in the next couple of weeks and it’s already behaving very pea-like.

A few sentences of dramatic writing should be a breeze. At this point of the process, you know the book, you know the storyline intimately, heck, by now you might be carrying the lead character’s child if biology and sexual preference wasn’t an issue.

Jotting down a couple of lines that sing of all the wonderful things your book is should be a no-brainer. For some people, I hear that it is. For me, however…

Me = Princess.

Blurb = Pea.

I’ve been told I’m quite good at it. When I get rolling, I can pound out a spectacular commercial for my product. Darren Stevens and Larry Tate on “Bewitched” have nothing on me… But getting this princess rolling can be a very drawn out, messy problem.

After 14 novels and a handful of short stories and novellas, I still haven’t got a clue how to get the girl moving properly. This time, apparently, will be little different.

*sighs*

Alright. I know what I’ve got to do.

Time to toss this royal ass down the nearest hill, tuck, roll and hope I land on a really good pea.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe, the princess pig

No comments:

Post a Comment