Friday, February 14, 2014

Chloe Review: "Area 407"...plus a marble count

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2062661/
"Area 407" (2012)
The highly touted and much anticipated Chloe Review for the movie “Area 407” is up first. The sanity check follows.

Enjoy and Happy Valentine’s Day!

The Particulars… “Area 407” is a horror movie that was filmed in California and released in 2012. I couldn’t find the budget but… well… I would think it was small.

The Chloe Blurb… In this found footage movie, two teenage girls are recording their plane trip from New York to Los Angeles. When their plane crash lands into a mysterious military installation in the desert, the spunky girls keep the tape rolling… even when a terrifying beast starts picking off the crash survivors one by one.

The Players… Not stellar acting by most. If what rumor says is true, however, that there was no script and the actors were told just to adlib everything, I’ve got to give the actors a pass. Films have screenwriters for a reason, you know. Top marks for acting go to Samantha Sloyan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1418096/?ref_=tt_cl_t7) who played the flight attendant Lois. Well done portrayal on every count. On the other end of the scale, the character of “Trish” really needed a script and an editor. Panning the actress is not my thing. Put her in a role with at least a halfway bearable script and I’ll give you my opinion on her acting talent.

On the Plot… “Been there done that” best describes my feelings on the storyline. I have an affinity for found footage films, though, so I’m always searching them out and hoping for a new twist. Unfortunately, I found no such thing here. At least the ending packed a punch… an expected punch, admittedly, but it was hard hitting (as long as nobody giggles).

Plot Holes, Miscues and the Like… Spoiler-free this go-around. Everyone feel free to continue.

         -Why did the director spend so much time at the beginning on the needless development of the teen girls and the photographer? It added nothing to the storyline and made “Trish” nearly unbearable.

          -A little over halfway through the movie, the survivors of the plane crash find a safe-spot, where no “bad guy” can get to them. They don’t stay. WHY?!

          -As stated in the Chloe Blurb above, the plane crashes into a military installation… apparently a military installation without a single helicopter. For pity’s sake, people, where are the choppers?!

          -Eventually a car comes into play. What the hell do they all keep running over? It’s a freaking desert road!

          -I will not question the end because, apparently, a sequel is in the works right now. Yes, a sequel. I will leave it there.

And so ends this Chloe Review. Everyone here for the stuff on “Area 407” may now be excused. Anybody left will be glad to know that I did indeed survive the construction work at my house today. The hot poker through my left eye (i.e. stupidly bad headache) is expected but survivable so I’ll call this day a definite win.

We won’t discuss how this all has negatively impacted my writing schedules. Nope, we won’t talk about that now. We’ll talk about that tomorrow morning when I’m no longer impaled with a fire tool.

Until then…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment