Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sketching the Story in the Sand: An Author's Method


Good morning, world! As women’s curling plays on the television and a drizzly rains falls outside my windows, I have a full day of writing ahead. Surprising, ain’t it?

Confession time: Yesterday was pretty much a bust for my short story for Carina Press I’m calling “Sicily” for the moment. Zero work was done on it even though I gave it a good “think” a couple of times. Yes, naughty writer me.

My “Lion & Steed” series for Ravenous Romance, however, is going swimmingly well. I added another 500 words to its total (mostly as an excuse to avoid doing the tedious editing work needed on Chapter One). So, while the result was overall very pleasing, my intent was less than honorable. Does intent matter though? Probably not as long as the finished product benefits. But I’m hedging my bets on this one and calling… Yes, naughty writer me.

I’m still waiting for word on “Ravenscar” from Dreamspinner Press. The contracts are supposed to go out 2/20, so I know I probably won’t hear “Yay” or “Nay” until then, but we’re dealing with the OCD queen here. Checking my work email, therefore, is still pitifully obsessive but, as of yet, not out of hand. Unfortunately, as every day passes I’m more and more convinced that I could have done “Ravenscar” better or differently or whatever. Normal writer’s remorse I know but still… Yes, naughty writer me.

So, to get back on the right foot of all this writing-is-your-career-don’t-fuck-it-up stuff, here is the outline I promised you yesterday for “Sicily.” Remember, it is only preliminary (i.e. I could toss the whole thing and not lose too much sleep over it at this point). And to keep it spoiler-free, it’s very general, but I still think you can get the idea of where I’m headed.



I. Damiano (a young Sicilian architect) arrives at his mother’s small inn in the town of Taormina, Sicily. There the architect meets Briggs (an impassioned American writer) who is lodging there. Sparks fly.

II. Briggs, who is researching a book on the famous early 20th century photographer von Gloeden, spends the next day in Taormina tracking down all traces of the late artist’s life. Damiano, intrigued by the young American’s quest, tags along. Connections, both physical and emotional, are made.

III. Wanting to follow in the exact footsteps of one of Gloeden’s famous photographic journeys, Briggs convinces Damiano to accompany him on a two day hike through the mountains of Sicily. Lust is surrendered to. Love begins to knock.

IV. Returning to the inn two days later, Briggs prepares to return to America. Damiano prepares to let the man he’s falling in love with go.

V. Resolution is had in a most surprising way… (sorry, not telling.)



The emotional ties these two men form  are the keys to this story. It is in the interweaving of their lives where the true magic of this tale will lie… or so I hope. *fingers crossed*

Let me know what you think!

Until tonight…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment