Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Case for Editorials: A Chloe Defense

Time to look around.
I’ve become remarkably lax in my editorials on current world events. Selfishness, alone, is the excuse I offer, if there is any true “excuse” for such egocentric short-sightedness. I plan to correct that today, but this morning I’d like to take a moment to explain why I do these editorials.

A writer’s life is by definition a lonely one at times. This solitude, not by any ill-intent or callousness, sometimes leads to a blocking out of the rest of the world to concentrate on our own. Writers are hardly the only professionals who fall into this trap. I would argue most professions demand this sort of laser-point focus to succeed.

Still, the rest of the world barrels on without us. This is all fine and good – most of the time. We all need to glance up from our keyboards occasionally and give the rest of humanity a look-see. Not just a cursory glance at the headlines CNN, Fox and NBC decide to share with us, but at the stories deserted a little under the national radar.

These rather silly editorials I force upon my blog readers from time to time is my attempt not to educate you (Please. You are adults. And I’m hardly an expert on anything but panic attacks and “smut” writing.), but to force myself (more selfishness here, you see) to concentrate on other worlds, other people who are struggling through so much more than even the finest writer could ever, ever imagine.

So, you may rightfully call these editorials my follies. They, most likely, add nothing to the world at large and, for that, I do apologize… but perhaps, just maybe, they will bring a scattering of attention to a situation that desperately needs it.

Delusions of grandeur, again, I admit.

Sorry.

…Or maybe, this time, I’m really not.

I think it’s time for my medication now.

Until tonight…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment