Sunday, February 23, 2014

NASCAR & the Gay Romance Writer: A Love that Rumbles the Southern Skies

Let's shake the ol' NASCAR tree.
“And so the morning rumbles forth, and I, a mere weed, tremble…”

Yeah, well. I’d put a whole string of question marks here to address that poetic throw-up of mine, but I think it’s best if we all just close our eyes really tight and wish it away.

Thank you.

So, it’s thundering here. It’s also wet. Yuck.

The Daytona 500 is today… or is scheduled for today. With this weather, who knows if the field led by Austin Dillon in the #3 will actually get a chance to run.

NASCAR, itself, isn’t so weird, but the fans often are. Me? I love NASCAR. I have for years. But I’ve got to admit that being a writer of gay romance I don’t seem to fit into the proverbial “race car fan” mold.

It’s like the two worlds can’t cross or the whole cosmos might short out or something (a la “Ghostbusters” and their ray-thingies). Most NASCAR fans are not the prototypical narrow-minded, gun-toting, racist “rednecks” most of the universe categorizes us as. But there is an aura around cheering for the sport that makes a gal in my chosen profession feel a little, well, weird…

So, I’m aiming to put all that nonsense behind me today by stating to the world at large the uncomfortable truth – Chloe Stowe, m/m romance writer, gun law supporter, MLK adorer is a practicing NASCAR fan!

*waits nervously for the universe to shriek*

*and waits…*

*and waits…*

Silence.

Alrighty then, I feel better.

Do you?

If not, maybe I could write you a poem?

Lol

Until tonight…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment