Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Cattiness Query

Must female characters always be catty toward each other?

This is a question I’ve never asked myself before (as writing m/m romance limits the womanly roles to two or three at most). However, writing a mainstream ensemble love story chocked full of ladies has opened my eyes to query.

Now, this question would never have occurred to me even then if we weren’t bombarded by said cattiness in nearly every form of fictional media.

Of course there are noted exceptions to sexually active women cast in this unfavorable light (i.e. “Sex in the City,” etc.) and I don’t mean to poo-poo these fantastic anomalies at all. But the fact (or should 
I say “taint”) remains. Popular, mainstream, pay-you-more-than-a-$100-to-write stories usually rely on this mean-spiritedness between women to provide much of the color of an ensemble tale.

It’s kind of infuriating, isn’t it?

In fact, I’m feeling rather catty about it. *winks*

Until tomorrow…


Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment