Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Pinocchio Thing

Admittedly, Pinocchio and I have never been tight.

I mean, there are a whole host of Disney films/books/etc. I’d put way above the nose-growing kid. The whole thing just didn’t resonate with me. Geppetto was cool. Jiminy Cricket was, of course, alright. I even liked the big scary whale (my first horror movie viewing, I might claim). However, there were no real feels with the story.

Sad, I know.

But yesterday as I worked on The Hushing Days’ first edits, I finally found an affinity for the little tinder box.

You might remember that the character of Brone in my novel has been a problem child since the beginning. I just didn’t like him. Had no fondness for him, whatsoever. Relegated him from major to minor character with unmitigated glee.

Well, yesterday, I finally discovered Brone’s soul. WHAM! There it was! And the character was no longer just a wooden puppet I knew how to maneuver about with strings. Brone was suddenly a real little boy! (Ok, grown man, but you get the picture.)

So, Pinocchio and I have a thing going now. Who knows how long it’s going to last, but I’m going to ride it to the end… just as long as nobody morphs into a donkey along the way.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment