Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Ne'er Hush the Muse

So, you might have heard that my much ballyhooed, work-in-progress mainstreamer the Six Brothers project finally has an official title… The Hushing Days.

*imagines thunderous applause amidst “ooh’s” and “ahh’s”…*

*four-legged, furry muse tosses psychiatrist’s appointment card on the keyboard and suggests going a few hours early*

My dog’s opinion aside, I’m sure there are some of you out there who would like to know the meaning/story/explanation behind The Hushing Days title. (At least allow me this illusion.)

While I’ve had the title bouncing around in my head for a while, it wasn’t until I wrote the novel’s brief Prelude the other day that I knew I had to go for it.

“Hush the children. Extinguish the light…”  This is the first line of that Prelude.

It is a short scene of a man who witnesses the arrival of the 10,000 British troops on Long Island from his home’s window one night in August 1776. His apprehension and terror are palpable. The war has arrived on his doorstep and life for his family will never be the same. The occupation of New York City has begun.

Hence, the hushing-thing.

Got it?

I hope so. Because even though I just made a mess of explaining it, the Prelude is really cool.

Trust me.

Trust the hushing…

*dog noses that darn appointment card again*

Yeah, yeah, I’m going.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment