Thursday, November 27, 2014

Operatic Looting

As a writer, I’m always looking at other artistic pursuits to see what I can learn.  Applying other theories to literature has fascinated me for years, and whenever I find myself in a rough writing patch I invariably turn to a little looting.

My sudden interest in opera is an example of such smash and grab tactics.

Opera is an especially rich field in which to plunder because it is an art form remarkably close to literature.

The whole idea of opera is to integrate the spoken dramatic word with song, spectacle and orchestra.  An opera should be an experience of sight, sound and mind.

A novel is little different, except its sight and sound must be provided through the play of words the author chooses.

So, as I continue my journey into the art of opera, I will keep a notepad and pencil nearby, always prepared to loot me some theory.

It may sound foolish, but give it a shot and see what you find.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment