Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Genre Identity

Well, this is new. My next novel (only in its infancy stage) is facing an identity crisis.

Ok, perhaps “crisis” is a bit of an overstatement. It’s more of a genre wavering, I suppose.

Historical Romance or Women’s Fiction?

While one can be a subset of the other, there is still a world of difference between the two in the creation phase.

In Historical Romance the relationship, the romance, must remain the star.

In Women’s Fiction, the female lead may take and hold center stage. This does not mean that she must keep the spotlight all to herself. She can share it, absolutely. But it is her story, not the relationship’s which gets top-billing.

The question is… Do I have the guts to allow my new novel to lean towards Women’s Fiction instead of Historical Romance?

The answer is… I don’t have a clue.

I’ll keep you updated.

Until tomorrow…


Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment