Monday, May 30, 2016

Breaking the Mirror

A mirror simply will not do.

As I continue delving into my first single POV novel, I’m having to set some boundaries between myself and the protagonist. My quirks are a catching lot. They’ve always spread like wildfire throughout my characters if not kept a steady eye on.

With that kind of intimacy narrowed down to a single soul in my new book, I’m finding the heroine reflecting me rather, well, grotesquely.

Like I said, this will not do.

By all means, you should allow a few of your personal quirks, a handful of your life experiences to color your characters (that’s what makes them your characters), but don’t make the mistake of writing what you see in your bathroom mirror…  It only reflects poorly on your imagination.

Until Wednesday (travel day on Tuesday)…


Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment