Friday, February 20, 2015

An Adage to Old

While I may not have been blessed with children, I have been blessed with a dog who not only plays the muse in my life, she is tasked with being my very best friend. Today, my puppy turns 13…

A teenager.

Good grief.

Now, I’ve had teenaged dogs before, several of them in fact. (Yes, my blessings run extraordinarily deep in this category. A heartfelt shout-out to God for that one. Seriously. Thank You.)

Many people who have never experienced the teen years of dogs are under the mistaken impression that these canines only grow slow, deaf and gray. And while this might very well be the case from time to time, these are hardly the defining terms to their golden years.

Old dogs are rich.

They are wise in the ways of the world.

If you’ve been lucky enough to have them by your side from those first puppy years, by this point the old dogs know you better than you’ll ever know yourself. Just look in their eyes and they’ll tell you.

Old dogs are cunning. They know what they want and they know how to get it. There will be no outsmarting these vintage fur-faces.

New tricks? They can take them or leave them. It just depends on the treat and the day.

Cats, squirrels, bunnies and all other furry annoyances are still well in their sights. Blind? Please. At this point in their lives, they don’t need to see you to eat you.

Old dogs are troublemakers and tricksters, who wield their seniority as a weapon. “Yes, I may have piddled on the carpet over there. But I’m old and incontinent. Be lucky I don’t choose to poop in your lap.”

And if any of you dear followers doubt me on these facts, may I remind you of one thing… Be it canine or human, the teen years are one wild ass ride. Hold on tight and enjoy.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe and the Birthday Girl Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment