Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Spot of Happenstance

There’s a spot of luck in creating a good story.

Not everything is planned, no matter how OCD’d the outline might be.

Sometimes, like in life, happenstance arrives and it is good.

As I’m sure you remember, there are three major storylines vining together in my newest novel The Hushing Days. With the concept of the book being based on a true story, there were certain parameters I couldn’t cross without feeling as if I’d “ruined” the whole thing.

So, plugging in this fact with that fact and intertwining it all with yards and yards of hand-picked fiction, I wasn’t expecting much of a surprise when I stood back and looked at the near-finished product.

But there a lovely, fateful happenstance was, beaming up at me with “Now, aren’t I just freaking beautiful?” eyes!

While I can’t go into details for fear of giving too much of the story away, I will liken it to this: Jumping out of an airplane at 10,000 feet, parachuting down to earth and finding, purely by happenstance, you’ve landed in a fairy ring of clover.

Yeah.

Wow!

Be open to happenstance, writers. Welcome it with open, clueless arms.

Until tomorrow…

Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment