Friday, November 13, 2015

A Tallow Candle and I

Needing a spot of confidence, a tiny uptick in my authorial can-do spirit, yesterday I lit a tallow candle and descended into my writing vaults… It should be noted that my four-legged, furry muse refused to accompany me. With a look of pure disdain on her fuzzy chin-whiskers she left me to my “rat-killing” and padded away to the couch. Words were had. Miss Hard-Head won, of course, and I and my tallow candle descended alone. (Perhaps my confidence would be in a wee bit better shape if I wasn’t bullied by my 15 pound muse. Just saying.)

Needless to say, I found a whole lot of crap back in the stacks. I fed one god-awful short story to the one-eyed spider leering at me. He didn’t spit it back up. I take that as a win.

Anyhow, I rooted around the piles of dusty, forgotten words until I finally found a couple of stellar though early novel efforts. Even though I couldn’t write a constant point of view to save my life, and some of my sentences were simply tortuous to re-read, I did eventually dig up my confidence in the books’ storylines. They were strong. Really strong. I could tell a darn good story ten years ago. I can tell an even better story today. So, with reclaimed confidence tucked firmly under my arm, I trudged back up into the present, collected my couch potato muse and actually got some work done.

Moral of this story… Don’t be afraid to revisit your past work. It might hold exactly what you’re looking for.

Until tomorrow…


Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment